Between Contracts

Sunday, June 22, 2008

'I don't think we're in Long Street anymore, Toto'

Not sure if I can articulate quite what I'm feeling right now. My first impressions of this place are 'very odd indeed'. The transfer taxi was waiting to take me from the Fly Inn to the 'Ritz Backpackers' as we arrived in the truck. To be honest, I had to roll straight out of the truck and into the taxi, so it meant there was very little time for goodbyes, and that suited me just fine. The drive took about half an hour – so much longer than expected, to the extent where I was questioning whether the driver was actually legit, and wasn't planning to drive me to Soweto and steal my stuff ('Please, I beg you! Take the camera, just leave me the memory cards!). Eventually, though, we arrived at an imposing building at the end of a cul-de-sac. First impressions weren't hugely favourable. The guy on reception – Gavin – was brusque, and I really couldn't read him. There was a TV room nearby, with several people sitting in silence. There were no single rooms tonight, so I'm in a dorm with sixteen beds – eight bunks. I walked in, had no idea which beds were taken. The first two blokes to walk in while I was there didn't say a word. I asked one if he knew where I could find linen. He said, 'yes'. Um, right, okay.... care to share?

I wandered through the TV room and found another dorm with some English girls. Had a quick chat with them, and they were friendly, but I'm now back on my bunk, deciding what to do next. Oh well, guess I should steel myself and head to the bar.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home