Between Contracts

Friday, June 20, 2008

Zim...

....actually, I've just had – well I'm not sure where to start, really. I've been sitting, tapping away on this, in the outside kitchen area, where the power sockets are. Albert, our cook, is on the other side of the counter preparing tonight's meal. So, we struck up a conversation. He's Zimbabwean and, after a few pleasantries, he asked me, 'Why does England not do anything about the situation in Zimbabwe?'. I have to confess, I was lost for words. We discussed the situation there, while I did my best not to venture any opinions until I had ascertained his point of view. I think the UK media coverage of the situation there has been reasonably accurate (er, based on the UK media coverage, worryingly), but while it's one thing to pontificate over solutions in a pub in Clapham, it's completely different when you're talking to someone directly affected by the situation, who knows the real story. Suddenly, your glib and witty solutions seem slightly shameful.

We talked a little more about the situation. He was saying that people can't understand why Britain, as a country that supported Mugabe originally, and who used to 'own' Zimbabwe, are turning a blind eye to the corruption, mismanagement and rigged elections. For my part, I tried to explain how I thought the British government were doing everything possible through diplomatic channels, although they were probably wary about direct action in view of the fallout over the Iraq fiasco – and also Zim's distinct lack of oil (although that's a bit of a cliché now). I also felt that, in view of Britain's colonial past, many of the African nations would take a dim view of us potentially sticking our nose where it's not wanted (at least, on a governmental level). I saw news footage of Mbeke and Mugabe embracing yesterday, so who knows what's going on. I certainly don't. Anyway, I tried, delicately, to ellicit as much information as possible about the situation from his point of view. Perhaps I'm being over sensitive, but would it have been better for me to venture my potentially wrong or, perhaps, inflamatory opinions? I make a point not to argue unless I'm fairly sure of myself, and here, I wasn't. The conversation came to an end when Heather arrived a couple of drinks down and ploughed in with her size elevens. She's very passionate about – well, she can be quite emotive. She believes the problem is that the media in our countries doesn't push the subject enough. I think that's a rather simplistic view, although I refrained from saying so, and we didn't get much more out of Albert after that. I may try to discuss with him again in the next couple of days. One thing's for sure. I can't remember the last time I felt so out of my comfort zone in a discussion. I must find out more about the situation when I get back to the UK. It does make conversations about missing game walks seem very trifling indeed, though.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home