Between Contracts

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Carboardbox Backpacker's - Windhoek

So, I'm a bit behind in my musings. Last night, after the usual darned good feed, we trotted down to the waterhole. As I may have mentioned, each camp in Etosha is built near a waterhole, with seated viewing areas, and sodium floodlights. This doesn't seem to bother the animals, and you can sit there at night, watching them come and go. As with game driving, it's a bit of a lottery as to what you see, but the waterhole at 'camp 2' is particularly picturesque. It was another cold night, but it was amazing how warm it was down at the waterhole and along the path leading to it. We surmised this was because of all the large rocks which lined the route, and which had been absorbing heat all day. I only stayed about an hour, but saw a mother and baby rhino having a very brief standoff with a small herd of about fifteen elephants.

So, up at stupid o'clock, a game drive to the gate, then the ten hour drive to Windhoek – a journey that can best be described as 'uneventful'. We dropped by the hostel, then Bjorn dropped a few of us at an internet cafe about a kilometre away on his way to do some food shopping. I checked the opening time of the camera shop he'd recommended, and it opens at 7:45am, which is a result.

I'm not in a great mood today. I'm still debating what to do about the camera, I'm a bit short of sleep, and I have a sore throat. Just generally a bit run down and a tad 'peopled out', I think. I am very much looking forward to a night in a proper bed. We visited 'Joe's Beer House' tonight, for lots of dead stuff on sticks. It's a quite amazing place – half inside and half out, full of thatched bars, African and American memorabilia and open fires. Very cool to visit, although I'd imagine it's the sort of thing I'd look down my nose at if it were in London. I had a skewer of ostrich, zebra, crocodile, kudu... They all tasted fairly similar, apart from the crocodile, which I pegged straight away. It's an interesting flavour. It actually has a taste vaguely reminiscient of river water – like something that has, perhaps, been stored near fish in a freezer. Not sure I'm that keen on it, but it's always good to try new things.

So, sleep in a proper bed. In a dorm of five people, so not perfect, but I reckon I'll get a good night's kip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home