Between Contracts

Saturday, June 07, 2008

At the risk of sounding facile, today is a different day. Last night was one of the coldest yet. I know it's winter, 'n' all, but what on earth is going on? I have a summer sleeping bag, as I mentioned, and I figured I could brave the first few nights, then it would get warmer. Here I am, though, still freezing my tits off night after night. I was ready for it this time, though, and 5am found me struggling out of my sleeping bag in socks, trousers, two t-shirts and a fleece.

I'm sort of 'over' my busted camera today. Gawd, it's like the end of a relationship (in some very minor ways) – I've accepted it now, but I still get those occasional pangs of regret. Like when I see an elephant in the distance, or the coos of admiration as you swap the colours 'in camera' (See? See what I did?). My tent-mate has leant me his little compact, though, which has a x3 optical zoom. As an unexpected bonus, I also worked out that the telephoto converter I had for my broken camera can be held in front of any other camera, doubling the zoom. So, everyone has been asking to borrow it, and I've managed to take some half-way decent shots. I'm also reasonably content, as long as I can pick up a new one between now and the Okavango Delta. We're in Windhoek tomorrow night, but it's Sunday, so the camera shop is unlikely to be open. We then pass through Mauun, which may have a shop. I just have to hope they have the right model, and that it's not too outrageously priced. To be honest though, money isn't a huge consideration beside the missed opportunities. The only thing I'm gutted about now, though, is that I realised I only bought it in November, so it's probably still under warranty, and that by trying to fix it, I've voided that (trust me, if you saw it you'd agree). Bugger.

More game driving today, and we've now seen three of the 'big five'. I'm just about over zebras, though. We packed up quickly this morning, to hit the park before sunrise, then stopped in a 'picnic' area for breakfast. I helped Bjorn affect repairs on some of the seats, which had broken to the point where they simply flopped back on the person seated behind. We swapped them with the seats at the very back, which involved a lot of dust, rust and elbow-grease. We were ably assisted by Heather, one of the Australian girls, who grew up on a farm, and seems happy to muck in with all things manual and mechanical. It's a welcome relief to have the two of them on board. Chrissie is the older, more organised one. She's 'classically' red headed, too. She managed to get sunburnt within the space of thirty minutes through the window on the truck, and is rarely seen without a wide-brimmed straw hat. They've just about finalised coming to Kruger, too, although they already had a flight from Vic Falls to Jo'berg booked, so they're trying to move that to avoid the two-day drive with us, and instead meet us there.

2 Comments:

At 2:39 pm , Anonymous Anonymous said...

APPARENTLY banging the camera repeatedly on a hard surface (I kid you not) will loosen the lens and it should start working again. This is apparently a common problem with the Powershot series. Some think it is caused by changes in temperature causing the lens to expand and contract and jam. So - a few hard, flat bangs on the bottom (!) might just get the camera working again. Good luck!

 
At 10:31 am , Blogger Nick said...

Sadly, it's too late. I've fairly ripped it apart, in a 'warranty-voiding' style, I fear. I did try smacking it a few times, though. Still, I have a new toy now...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home