Between Contracts

Sunday, May 25, 2008

Bed time

There is something of the 'Fresher's Week' about this place. I've met quite a few people today. They're all very friendly, but invariably the conversation kicks off with the same three questions. Instead of:

  1. What course are you doing?
  2. What A-levels did you do?
  3. What hall are you in?

it's,

  1. How long have you been here?
  2. Where were you before this?
  3. Where are you going afterwards?

Like clockwork, it is. It's human nature, though: we all look for common ground, and since most backpackers are unlikely to be high-flying career bods (at least, any more!), 'what do you do?' is no longer available to come off the bench.

I met Kelly (two days, four weeks travelling solo through Namibia and Tanzania, home) at the bar. Kelly doesn't drink. She works as a bartender. I said, 'Well, you know what my next question is...' God, it's like picking a scab, isn't it? One can't leave it alone. What is it about non-drinkers that makes us feel the need to either get them smashed or ellicit a bloody good reason? Personally, I guess it's the 'policy' attitude that is a bit of a red rag for me, but enough of that...

Alex and Chrissie have been issuing me with a lot of free drinks, and I had a brief tussle with my conscience while I considered buying them shots back every time I bought another beer (at 4% for a 220ml Windhoek,this was often). The 'forex' penny dropped, though, and I realised any drink was about seventy pence. It makes for a darned fine atmosphere at the bar, although apparently it’s quiet compared to peak summertime, when it’s a bit like a nightclub. Right, bed then. I think I’ve done rather well today. I had a sambucca and a beer for breakfast, climbed table mountain with four Norwegian girls on one square of chocolate, then bbq’d springbok and boerworst. Chrissie also made me try the boerwors raw, and it tasted rather good. Stomach seems to be keeping up, too.

(I know that's a lot of posts for one day, but seriously, it feels like I've been here a week. God knows how I'm still going - running on vapours I think. Anyway, I'm sure these'll tail off a bit soon.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home