Between Contracts

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Fingers crossed

I managed to get an earlier appointment, at 12:45pm today, so my passport - and ninety-seven quid - are now in the hands of the 'Passport and Identification Service'. Typically enough, the woman who 'examined' me today wasn't nearly as officious as the one that I dealt with yesterday, didn't even look at my proofs of address (yes, plural - I had three), and looked slightly puzzled when I explained what happened the day before. Anyway, it's now on its way to being sorted, and is guaranteed to reach me by next Wednesday. Fingers crossed.

In other news, I've booked a
hostel for the first few days. I asked for a single room, but they've put me in a four-bed dorm. This trip is as much about the experience for me as it is about seeing Southern Africa, so I've decided to simply roll with it and see what happens. Bit concerned about valuables, but there we go. They're picking me up from the airport, too. I've lobbed 'em another mail to see if they can help me organise the Cape and Table Mountain before I arrive. I'm now picking my friends' thoughts on what to do, since a couple of them have been to that part of the world before. It's funny, is part of the appeal in travelling that few of your peers have done what you've done? Or is it the challenge that means that so few people have done it? Would Sir Edmund Hillary have been slightly ticked off if, having mentioned to one of his friends that he was to attempt Everest, the friend said, 'Ah yes, watch that steep bit just before you get to the top.' It's becoming apparent that it's getting harder and harder to do anything truly different. Is it that desire that drives on the Ranulph Fiennes' of this world?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home