Between Contracts

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

A bit more of the same...

Got a bit carried away on the last post, didn't I? I'll try and be a little more succinct this time. Actually, it did occur to me that I could kinda spread this 'material' out a bit. I mean, should I be writing this all down as it happens, or should I move things about a bit to make it more readable. Of course, I must take the former option. I'll read this back at some point, and I want it to remind me of how it happened, rather than how it would have happened if it was specifically lending itself to being written about.

Happened again, didn't it? Oops.

So, it's – I think – Wednesday morning, and I'm typing this before we meet up at 9:15am to make a call on whether it's happening today. It's greyer again, today, and Seb reckons we're 50-50. Frankly, I'd be quite happy with a day off, as I'm feeling it this morning. Yesterday was more of the same, and that's quite alright with me. We set off a bit later to let the snow soften, and we were in the air by twelve. It was a tad windier than the day before, and the heli was rocking around a little. This also made it harder to drop us off, as the pilot needs to maintain a stable position while we unload. I'm still not bored of that bit, and the way we all jump out of the door before hitting the deck and crawling away makes me feel like I'm back in 'Nam (even though, of course, I was never in 'Nam. I have seen Platoon, though). It was extremely windy at the top, even after the heli had gone, and this has taught me to always make sure I'm zipped up and ready when I jump out now. We managed around five drops before we stopped for lunch at 3. The top of the run is generally icy, but the snow softens the further down we go, and we had some great runs. I particularly love it when the slopes are wide and varied enough for everyone to plow down together, all taking their own lines. It's fantastic to watch Seb and Neil ahead of us, as they both ride with such fluidity, and really know how to use the terrain. Show-offs. I should probably mention I nearly had another accident. The group had stopped on a ridge, and I came in slightly below on my heel edge. It was steep, and I started sliding. I was heard to shout, 'No! Not-bloody-again!'. I was mainly functioning on pride at this point, and was angry enough to point my board straight down the fall line and carve onto my toe edge, coming to an immediate halt. I grinned at Neil, watching me from above, who simply laughed and said, 'Y'see, you're learning...' Darwinism at its best.

We took lunch down in the valley this time. Bread, sandwich fillings, tea and chocolates, but it's amazing how good it all tastes standing by a heli surrounded by mountains. I was busy trying to take 'arty' photos – I never tire of taking photos of the other guys' mirror goggle lenses – although Seb thought I'd taken a liking to him until I pointed out I was trying to get the heli in the reflection.

So, a couple more runs after lunch, and we were running short of fuel so we flew over to some hot springs for a bit of a soak. These were completely natural, and were created by damning a spring with logs. It was sulphurous and not very clean, but fantastic with a beer in hand. I went and laid on the snow for the benefit of Seb's video camera. Seb's been filming, with a view to making some sort of video afterwards. It's amazing the detrimental effect on one's abilities a video camera has, though.

I should also mention that, in addition to Neil, Seb and Lisa, there's another girl with us – a Russian girl called – I think! - 'Doxema' (which frankly, sounds like something you wouldn't need a prescription for, but which you'd certainly have to ask the pharmacist for). I think she works for the heli company. I've christened her 'Team Player' or 'The “I” in Team', as she kinda does her own thing, and rarely speaks to anyone. She also has a video camera, so I guess she's putting together something for the heli company. We had one rather surreal moment when Pete said the word 'traverse', which practically left her crying with laughter. Does anyone know if 'traverse' is a rude word in Russian? Lisa is German, incidentally, and functions as a guide and translator. She's also an awesome boarder. There's a very mild disconnect between the guides, though, and there have been several incidents where we've reached Neil, who's wondered why everyone is coming down one at a time, and we've pointed out that Lisa has been holding us back. She's definitely more cautious than Neil and Seb (or maybe 'overly', but I'm not qualified to comment).

So, back to the heli, and they'd just loaded a skidoo into the back, via the rear cargo doors, so there we were – eleven riders, boards, equipment and a skidoo – in the back of the heli. And home we went. There was a mild feeling that we may have been a tad short-changed on another run if they were saving fuel for the skidoo, but there we go.

We got back to the hotel around eight, and arranged a quick turnaround to meet at quarter to nine to go out to a restaurant 'round the corner'. Neil had a short meeting, so Seb led us out, then promptly got lost. This was worth it, simply for the opportunity to make relentless 'glad we have a guide with us...', 'haven't got your “urban dining” badge yet, then...?' comments. We eventually found it with the help of a local Russian girl ('Ah, you are from Americas? You hef gurl-frient or vife?' Actually, that's a lie. She was very helpful, and didn't say anything like that.). As with much of this town, the restaurant was much nicer inside, although there was still the odd plastic parrot to spoil things. I won't say too much about this save that there is a definite lack of service culture in this town. Over an hour for cold starters? Really? Neil got up and left early. We eventually all left around quarter to midnight after the food had all arrived in the last half an hour. It wasn't bad when it came, but I always feel sorry for the waitress, who has no control over how fast food comes out of the kitchen. We thought about complaining and querying the bill, but felt discretion was probably the best part of valour in a town where we're not quite sure how the law works.

And so to bed. I feel a little better this morning, but my left (back) calf is in need of a rest. In an ideal world, I'd like heavy snow for a day or two, then blue skies. We shall see...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home