Between Contracts

Monday, August 04, 2008

On the terrace again. It's getting bloody difficult to get any time to write at the moment, which is a shame as I'm beginning to really enjoy it. Actually, it's not really the writing I enjoy, so much as the creative process behind it. If I could drop thoughts directly onto the page, that'd be great. The reason it's getting hard is because I seem to be growing in popularity. No, seriously. Whenever I head to the bar with laptop, grab a beer and a table and prepare to wax 'travelogue', one of my truck-mates wanders through and decides to join me. Then another, then another. I'm typing now through force of will, since I've already been joined by six others – one just two minutes after I sat down. Anyway, there are enough people now to carry on their own conversations, so I can fade out a little and do this. I will, of course, be acting as a part-time 'conversation consultant' and facilitator should awkward silences occur.

I woke up, unbelievably, without a hangover. I got to bed last night at around 2:30am. Interesting times again. There's a bar on the beach next to us, with a huge sound system and tables made out of old boats. There were candles all over the beach, and I genuinely felt like I was in a movie. I half expected Tom Cruise to pop up behind the bar with a cocktail shaker in his hand (then, presumably, get into a relationship, screw it up by being young and impetuous before making a heartfelt and ultimately successful attempt at reconciliation). Six of us ended up there until late, throwing our best dance moves on the sand. That was when we weren't busy protecting the girls in our group from the amorous locals. They'd just appear, dancing with us. In the end, we tried to ignore them, but there was one moment when the three girls remaining each grabbed one of us blokes and pretended to be 'involved' (but you know, not too much).

It got a bit odd, though or deliciously salacious, if you like. One of the guys a guy with his girlfriend on the tour had been on blinding form all night. He was the life and soul and, of course, was completely 'safe' to dance with, since his girlfriend was back in his room. Safe, that was, until he tried it on with one of the girls. Nothing came of it, and she was very firm in her rejection, but we're still not sure what he's up to. I don't think he and his girlfriend have been happy together for months, and they both seem happier when they're not together. But still.

It ended up with Mia, Danni, Kiara and I sitting on a bench overlooking the ocean at 2:30am, talking about life and all that rubbish. No firm conclusions reached.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home