Between Contracts

Sunday, August 15, 2004

Well behind...again

So I left things at the Snow Pub, with Mike in mid-set. Christ, it's now several days' later, I'm in Santiago, and I'm having trouble remembering what I've done.

Okay, so Mike's strumming away, to loud applause. It was all getting a bit odd, with Darren the Canadian and Chris the Virginian (the place, I mean the PLACE) swapping sheep jokes and headbutting each other. Interesting. We'd also lost Strudel midway to the pub, which was a ten minute walk down the main road. The next morning, those that had had reasonable nights jumped in the truck early (it turned out that Strudel had hid in a bush, then sneaked home for an early night. Hmmm) and hit the slopes. This turned out to be not quite as cunning as I first thought, since it was blowing a gale, and the slopes at the top were fairly bullet-proof. We retired to the cafe for icecream until it warmed up. The others turned up at twelve. Illness and fatigue are combining to mean that many people are now scaling back the amount of time on snow. Not me, though. I'm still bloody-minded enough to stick at it....

Heck, I can't really remember what happened that night. I think we had a pretty quiet one. Internet came back up, so I spent some time catching up (yup, that's how behind I am), then took a fairly early night. Next morning, again, only a few of us went up early, and it was, again, bullets up at the top. The best way I can think of to describe it was 'exfoliating'. I had my new board on, and was really beginning to bond with it. It's stiffer and narrower than my Supercharger, and I'm gradually discovering I can push it a lot harder. I think I'm falling in love with it, although the old board's still good for when the rocks are out. By the afternoon, the snow was beginning to fall steadily. Sylv was keen to stay...

(y'see, if I'd kept this up to date, I'd be able to say 'Sylv IS keen to stay'. Trouble is, I'm doing this all with hindsight, and you already know that we didn't stay.)

So, yes, she was keen to stay, since she's all about the snow. I'm, of course, about the snow, but also about seeing some new places, so I prefered to head back to Santiago to jump off to local places. It was now Friday, and our last day in Chillan. We hit the hot springs at four, and sat drinking beers while the rain poured down. This, of course, meant snow higher up. Back at the ranch, a massive barbeque was in progress, with various dead stuff presented for our delectation. The last night was...interesting. Defcon one. Ground zero. Call it what you will, but the 'Tim' issue, finally came to a head.

Right. The others have just turned up (cafe Melba), so I gotta go eat breakfast. Darn, I still have much to catch up on. Oh well, more when I get a chance...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home